Sunday 6 July 2014

The Android Invasion - Episode 4

Maybe, just maybe I will find something in this final episode that will completely get rid of what I have written about this story in the previous two episodes. Maybe I wasn’t giving episodes two and three the chance that they deserved and that the Kraal’s plot isn’t as convoluted as I previously though. Well as I start to watch the final episode of this story I am reminded that the cliffhanger didn’t really get a mention. At the end of the previous episode, the Doctor and Sarah are about to get on the rocket that is going to earth and they don’t get in the cases before it lifts off and they are affected by the G-Force. The close up on Elisabeth Sladen is great because according to the info text on the DVD, it allows Sladen to pull at the sides of her face to give the impression of the G-Force. This is actually quite a sad episode because it’s the last time that John Levene and Ian Marter will appear in this show. At least they appear as their normal versions as opposed to the android versions.

After the reprise is over and the Doctor and Sarah are back awake its quickly shown that there is an android version of the Doctor. The action actually moves to earth with Crayford arriving back and getting in contact with space command. It’s revealed towards the end that Crayford has been wearing the eye patch unnecessarily. Quite how he didn’t figure out to check out his eye at any point during his time with the Kraal’s. It’s another problem with Terry Nation’s writing that is slowly becoming outdated to Doctor Who.
The CSO shot of the capsules landing was terrible. Letts’ fondness for CSO has always been a problem when he was producer but as director he could have done something else and had he been producer and someone else tried that then he would have put his foot down. Sadly this didn’t happen and its one of the few disappointing moments in this episode. The Doctor encountering his android self is quite a nice scene although I think that its made a bit silly when the real Doctor jumps through a window. Thankfully there is a second scene between the two Doctors and it’s a very well directed scene and Letts’ redeems himself slightly here but I should say he’s still a solid director and has directed this story well overall.

John Levene’s last word is “Yes” and his last scene is when he is knocked out of the floor and his android version is standing over him. Ian Marter’s final scene is just as bad because he is tied up with General Finch and being untied by Sarah. That’s it, there is no goodbye scene like he got in ‘Terror of the Zygons’. It’s a shame that after 62 episodes and 31 episodes respectively that they two characters weren’t treated with a bit more respect. I know that I haven’t been very positive about Harry during his time on the show, he is at least entitled to a better send off than what we got here.
The problem with this serial is that it is largely unsatisfying. There are some positives in this serial but on the whole I think that the problems such as a convoluted plot and disregard for certain characters is what has slightly devalued this serial since I watched it in the past. I suspect that if I watched it again in one sitting in the future then I might think a bit more positively about it but I cant deny that I have been disappointed with what I have seen. Not the worst story of the season but not the greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment